This week I had problems with changing the language of my multisite, for those who have the sample problem I wrote a quick guide:
On a normal WordPress installation you can change the language in your wp-config.php file. When I like to change the language to Dutch (by example) I define:
define ('WPLANG', 'nl_NL');
Make sure the language files (.mo) are located in your languages folder in wp-content.
But I recently tried this on a multisite, and nothing happened!
I discovered that the multisite also stores the language in his settings (database), so you have to change this for every site in your network (it makes sense!).
- In wp-admin go to the site admin area (right top of the admin)
- Chose ‘edit’ for the website(s) you like to change the language
- Go to the settings tab and look for the setting called WPLANG
- Change (or define if it is empty) the language to nl_NL (or your own language)
Website language should be changed now! Again; make sure the language files (.mo) are located in your languages folder in wp-content.